Haus der Offiziere
The city Wünsdorf was the Red Army’s headquarters in Germany, it was the biggest Soviet military camp outside the USSR. In 1945 the buildings became ‘Das Haus der Offiziere’ (Officers’ House) under Soviet administration.
West of Wünsdorf we visited two more places.
In 1936 a military camp was constructed. Later this was converted to a nursing home.
The Abandoned Soviet Military Base
In 1916 this airfield was used as an airship port. Between 1953 and 1994 the base was home to the Soviet 833 fighter regiment. The Soviets left the airfield in 1992, when it was handed back to the district authorities following reunification of Germany. Since then it has lain disused and decaying.